advertisement
Question
Posted by: carol | 2004/11/04

Few questions

I started playing about 3 months ago and really enjoying it. My handicap is 34 and would like to improve to at least 28 in the next 3 - 6 months.
I drive very well but my short game is very bad. I even bought a chipper because I cant chip with any of the wedges/irons - would you recommend this or should I learn the hard way first. I also putt about 3 times!

How often would you recommend I practice to improve my game? I also want to start taking proper lessons fine-tune the basics, but the training pro's very expensive - R160 for 30mins. The game is expensive enough as it is - I'm a member at a driving range (no lessons) for R200/pm, I spend another minimum R300 per game (between my greenfees, my lunch, caddie fees, lunch & foundation) and I must play at least 2-3 games a month to improve.

Can you recommend cheater lessons around Sandton or cheaper ways to maintain the hobby. Thanx.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageArchive

Hi Carol

Answers to your questions :

* Chipper : I would definately recomend using a chipper until you have your confidence up on chipping - possibly practice your chipping off the course - see the website www.golfauction.co.za for chipping tips

* 3 Putts - to bring down the number of 3 putts, try to imagine a 3 foot circle around the hole when putting towards the hole, and if your first put misses, it must not be outside that circle. By focusing more on the pace or speed of the putt and not so much the line you will have fewer 3 putts

* Practice period : I would say you should practice your long game (Woods, irons (3-7 iron)) about 40% of the time. The other 60% must be spent on wedge, putting and chipping practice. Normally 2-3 times a week for 1-2 hours at a time should so

* Lessons : Huddle Park normally provides cheaper lessons and a cheaper way to play golf for entry level golfers

Hope this helps - Darryl

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
advertisement