Question
Posted by: Willow | 2004/02/14

Feverish Episodes

Hi Doc, I have a bit of a strange problem.

I find from time to time I have 'feverish episodes.'

I find my body temperature goes up and I start perspiring profusely, esp. from the head and generally feel feverish, like I'm getting flu. After a short while the symptoms disappear and it does'nt develop into an illness. They seem to be random, and only last 30-60 min. I am male and a vegetarian, otherwise in good health, but do get ear infections regulary.

I have heard that the hypothalamus regulates body temp. and relies on (amongst other things) certain amino acids. As a vegetarian I was wondering if a deficiency of amino's in my diet might be causing the problem?

Expert ImageArchive

Fever is a non-specific symptom that can result from a number of infectious causes, hormonal disturbance, nerve disturbance; it is important to check these causes first as they are more likely than as a result of amino acid deficiency. You may have a low grade infection, consult with your doctor or a naturopath who will send you for a blood test to check for these markers.
(Dr Chase Webber ND)