Question
Posted by: mika | 2006/07/17

fertomed -when will i ovulate

HI DOC, IT'S GOOD TO HAVE YOU BACK

I'M ON FERTOMED (for 10 days), I STARTED ON DAY 2 OF MY CYCLE (TUESDAY LAST WEEK). I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHEN WILL I OVULATE. BEFORE I ONLY USED IT FOR 5 DAYS THAT STARTED ON THE 5TH DAY OF MY CYCLE.

WILL I OVULATE MORE THAN ONES?

PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR ADVICE

Dear Mika

It is not a common practise to use fertomed or any other clomiphene derivative for more than 5 days. The rationale behind using 5 days of stimulation is that the follicle/follicles are stimulated at the critical period in the cycle, when recruitment and promotion of follicular growth occurs. Under normal conditions, it is the initial FSH surge which occurs in the day 3-8 stage of the cycle which is responsible for follicle stimulation and growth. Notabily, the FSH levels decline from the initial stage of the cycle, to round about the midcycle stage, when there is a slight spike in FSH again, althought this is not really significant.
Therefore, the use of clomiphene citrate should be confined to not more than 5 days as is the recommendation by the manufacturers. This will also allow normal midcycle changes to occur which will facilitate the ovulation process which, in your case now, this phenomen will not occur as expected at the mid-cycle stage.
It is probable that you will ovulate in a very unpredicatable manner, if at all, and therefore I would recommend ultrasound monitoring be implemented to detect folliclular growth and progress.

The possibility of more then one ovulation depends on how many follicles are stimulated, but it is unlikely that you will ovulate at different intervals during the menstrual cycle.