Question
Posted by: TK | 2005/12/13

Fertomed safety and multiple births??

I was on the pil for a long time, and also had one injection before ttc'ing. After 6 months, my gynae gave me Fertomed 50 to use if I wanted to, but my husband and I decided to wait a bit longer because we do not want to have twins. There are no twins on my side of the family. Someone we know, tried to conceive for a year, and then tried fertility medication, and had triplets! What is the chance of getting twins or triplets if you're on the medication? We also do not want more than two children.

Dear TK

I do apologise for the delayed response.

There is always a potential risk with any fertility pill or fertility promoting injections to have a multiple pregnancy.
However, there is no absolute parameter that can be used to determine your risks of multiple pregnancy using FERTIMED.
The reason for this is that different patients will respond differently to the same doasge of drugs. To a large extent, this depends on :
1. The persons Body Mass Index (BMI).
2. the ovarian response and receptor sensitivity to the Fertimed
3. to a large extent dependent on the persons age.

The best way to avoid a multipe pregnancy situation is to have ultra sound scans as part of the monitoring process whilst using fertimed, and should there be too many follicles or too many eggs produced in a particular monitored cycle, then the cycle is best abandoned and one would then pursue a lower dose of medication with the following cycles.
In some situations, where there is more than one follicle produced, than it is also possible to extract / aspirate the excess eggs before embarking on natural intercourse or insemination procedures .

However, despite all the above , there is no guarantee that we could absolutely avoid mulitple pregnancies using fertilty enhancing agents.

1
Posted by: TK | 2005/12/13

Sorry, I forgot to ask how safe it is, I've heard that you can get systs on your ovaries from it?

Reply to TK