Posted by: hotchick | 2008/09/19

Fertility tests and increasing fertility

After being on the pill for 4 years, I stopped taking it in Feb this year. Since then, my husband and I have been ttc - with no luck. I have experienced a few pregnancy-like symptoms but my period always comes. My cycle has been 28, 29, 28, 30 days. I am 31 now and would like to have had 2 children by age 35 at the latest. I would like to find out asap if we can have children.
Where can my husband go for sperm testing and what are the costs? How do I go about getting my eggs checked, where can I get this done and what are the costs?
Also, I would like to know how I can increase both my and my husbands fertility. I have been taking Stamino Gro for the last 3 months as people have recommended this - but it does not seem to be working.
People also tell me to stop worrying about falling pregnant - but how can I reach that point as I am desperate to have a child.?
Advice and help would be greatly appreciated.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageFertility expert

Dear Hotchick

My advise to you is that you are being too concerned very early. On the point on the different tests, your husband’s sperm can be tested by having a semen analysis done and the cost of which ranges between R500 to R800. You can have your side tested by doing hormonal profile, pelvic ultrasounds and HSG. The chance of anyone conceiving naturally under normal circumstances is only 15%. Approximately 68-70% should achieve a pregnancy within 6 months and 90% should achieve a pregnancy within a year of trying. We only start testing for a problem of fertility when one does not succeed in achieving a pregnancy after 1 year of trying.

Answered by: Dr. Y. Dasoo

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: E EM | 2008/09/22

Im in my 40ths and no childern like to have one please help i have tryed.

Reply to E EM
Posted by: Nix | 2008/09/22

Go see a fertility specialist in your area. The consultation costs aren' t that heavy. It' s about R800.

Reply to Nix

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.