Question
Posted by: LG | 2005/11/30

Fertility specialist Re: posting 60

Morning Dr,
I actually forgot to add to my story that I do ovulate, saw on the ultrasounds the endometrium (correct size) & with the day 12 scans we actually saw the the isolation of the egg from the follicle in which it developes(correct size also for ovulation).

What else could be wrong with the mucus-pH? What is the correct way of testing the pH. Specialist said my mucus was fine, after postcoitol test we looked through stetoscope & he said it was clear & moving. Is that enough to test for pH. Spoke to another specialist & they said you can measure vaginal PH by checking with litmus paper? One can also do a bicarb douche, but the Dr needs to do it.

We are somehow troubled by that the Dr suggested only a few options(AI & IVF-more expensive tests) without doing ALL the procedure-testing of pH first which somehow seems to be our problem. Could this be triggered by stress as well that my mucus will kill the sperms?

Please advise on this. Thanks for your previous reply.
LG

Dear LG

There appears to be a contradiction from your previous posting (60) in that you mentioned that the post coital test was where the problem was and that the sperm "not moving".
In your second posting you mention that after the post coital test the specialist said that it was "clear and moving".
I am therefore not certain as to what the true situation is.

With regards to the vaginal ph, the lithmus test is a relatively unreliable test as it lacks sensitivity. Vaginal Ph is usually slightly acidic and this is a normal phenomenen. The bacteria in the vagina which are called lacto bacillus is responsible for the slight acidity which is normally present in the vaginal flora. This protects the vagina from hosts of infections and any disturbance of the acidity can result in the overgrowth of hostile bacteria which may lead to unpleasant vaginal infections. It is therefore important that the acidity of the vagina be preserved. and that the normal commensal baccilli population be maintained. The use of alkaline douches ,if used too frequently, may alter the ph of the vagina adversly resulting in unnecessary vaginal infections.

If the ph is maintained in the acidic range it is meant to be, this will promote, rather than impair fertility. It is also interesting to note that the ph of seminal fluid is slightly alkaline and that when seminal fluid is deposited into the vagina the net effect is that the total ph becomes neutral and therefore sperm function should remain unaltered. If however there is an alteration in the ph of the vagina, it is possible to restore the balance by means of specific lacto-bacillus enriched medication. You could ask your gynaecologist to prescribe such medication for you.