Question
Posted by: ttc#2 | 2005/11/21

Fertility medicine

Hi doc,

As you can see we are trying for #2. We had unprotected sex for about 2 years before i fell pregnant with our first child. I have been to a gynea to check out the overies and my side is all 100% as far as we could see. My husband is under a lot of pressure at work at the moment and i know stress is a big factor when trying to conceive.My question is this, when and what medicine can i take to get the ball in the posts?? We have been trying since December 04...please help! My gynea did suggest clomid , but i have read on the sites that you shouldn't take it if you ovulate normally which i do. If i take it what would the result be?

Dear ttc#2

As a starting point I would recommend that you begin by using some sort of home ovulation monitoring kits such as the urine testing kit called CLEARPLAN. Instructions to be on package insert.
It is a relatively simple test. If you have a regular cycle, ie 28-day cycle, testing starts on day 10. Ovulation should occur round about day 14. The detection strips would become positive on day 12 of your cycle or approximately 40hrs before ovulation occurs.
Should you not be ovulating, I would recommend that you use some sort of ovulation induction. Clomid is a good drug to start with. It may also be valuable to have your partner tested at this point in time to determine whether his sperm analysis is borderline or sub-optimal- in which case a simple insemination(IUI) could be attempted. However, serious sperm abnormalities may require stronger intervention measures.