Question
Posted by: Honey | 2007/08/14

Fertility medication

Good morning

I have been struggling to conceive our second child for a year now and have had various treatments in this time.
I started with 4 months of Fertomid (dosage 100mg), every month my cycle was 2 weeks or more (the first week normal and after that just a brown discharge) So then my doctor did a laparoscopy and D&C. During the operation they drilled the ovaries to remove all the cysts and also found very mild endometrioses. My period returned 17 days after the operation and fir the first time in a year I had what felt like a normal period. My doctor advised me to take 50mg of Fertomid and on day 13 the scan showed one follicle 16mm. I did a urine ovulation test that showed a very definite positive on day 13 as well. Hubby and I had intercourse the next morning (day 14). he was away on business so we couldn’t make love again till the Monday evening. Well I got my period again on Saturday, so we didn’t conceive.
I am not keen to take Fertomid again because I’m scared of developing cysts again. But what do you think? Where to from here? Should we just try without any fertility medication? I want to add that my thyroid, insulin and other hormones were tested and all levels are normal. I have no weight problems and I’m in very good health. My husband was tested as well and all is good with him as well.

Dear Honey

According to the literature, the benefits of ovarian drilling is the highest within the first year and therefore I would suggest that you continue with aggressive treatment to achieve a pregnancy. The option of using fertimed should be pursued, and, if necessary, to add injectables to increase the number of follicles and hence the number of eggs available for conception. This may increase the risks of multiple pregnancies and this possibility should be carefully considered. Although natural conception is certainly possible I would suggest an aggressive approach.

1
Posted by: g | 2007/08/20

also had ovarian drilling, lapscope, D&C, H/s, Endo Ahesiolysis, was on clomid and iu last cycle, did not work, this cycle i cant coz i have cysts, so my gynae said we should try natural way this cycle and if nothing happens, will try iui again

Reply to g