Question
Posted by: StephW | 2008/07/14

Fertility issues and testing

I have 2 older sisters who have both been struggling to get pregnant for a few years. My husband and I decided to start trying for babies in about a year or so. My doctor has told me that I should go off the pill 6 months before we start trying, just to get my body straight on its own. My question is, should I have my feritlity tested before my husband and I start trying? I don't want to spend a year trying and only then do the tests. Both my sisters had endometriosis and have undergone the surgeries, but are still struggling to concieve. My oldest sister has undergone invitro nearly 7 times (5 times while they lived in Boston). Basically, I am just really concerned that I might battle to fall pregnant and would rather know what my chances are sooner, rather than later.

Thanks!

Dear StephW

It does not mean that if your sisters have had endometriosis and both have had difficulty in falling pregnant that this would be the same in your case. I don’t think it’s wise for you to start testing for fertility before trying to fall pregnant on your own. As you have a family history of having endometriosis and fertility problems then I suggest, atleast try for 6 months on your own and if then you still do not fall pregnant then investigate further.

1
Posted by: TUMI | 2008/07/17

Hi i have one older sister who has prblem with her fertility ,and now my husband and i we think we have the same problem . We are having difficultyin falling pragnant. The doctor examend me and everything is fine he says , but last year i had two cycits on my left ovary which was removed. Please help i dont know now?

Reply to TUMI