Question
Posted by: Elle | 2006/04/10

Fertility Doc - please give some input

I had my 3rd lap for endometriosis 31 March. They found new endo and used a laser on it as per the times before. My gynae has said that if I want another child, I need to look at falling pregnant over the next 6 months. He says I have aggressive and active stage 3 endo. Is 6 months accurate? Will I need assistance if I decide to wait? Will it be difficult if I decide to go ahead? What are my options here?

I would really like some opinions and outside views on the matter.

Dear Elle

Unfortunately at the present moment there is still no cure for endometriosis. It is a chronic condition and the recurrence rate is very high. There is a strong association between endometriosis and infertility. The more aggressive or severe the endometriosis the more difficult it is for that particular patient to conceive. I don’t think there is any specific time period that one can advocate as to how long to wait and try and fall pregnant. However, the longer you wait the more severe the endometriosis may become and the more difficult it may be for you to conceive. Pregnancy itself may help keep the endometriosis at bay. If you are not ready to try and have a baby at this stage, then medical therapy using Zoladex for 6 month periods may decrease or prolong the chances of recurrence and try keep the endometriosis less active than it may be at this stage.