Posted by: Hadio | 2009/08/04


i' m a 25 year old lady who has been trying for a baby for 5 years now, i went to a gynaecologist last year and he said there won t be any problems for me to conceive, he said i had small cists which he prescribed pills for. i suffer severe period pains, i would like to know if there is something really wrong with me, or how do i know if i' m infertile? Please help

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageFertility expert

Dear Hadio,

As you have been trying for the last 5 years and have still not conceived then there is a high chance that there may be a problem present. The fact that you are suffering with severe period pains may indicate that you have a condition called endometriosis. Endometriosis is a condition that is associated with infertility. If you and your husband need to find out if you are fertile or not then the following is what I would advise you to have done either by your gynaecologist or by a fertility specialist. Firstly a semen analysis to ascertain if there are no male factor problems present, secondly hormonal tests to ascertain if the hormones are normal and if ovulation is taking place and thirdly a laparoscopy should be undertaken to assess if the fallopian tubes are patent and in addition to see if one has endometriosis and how severe the endometriosis is. Your doctor will then be in a position to ascertain if there are any problems present or not after these are done.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: J | 2009/08/06

I think i would get another opinion if i were you. 5 years seems like quite a long time. Was the doc not concerned about your severe period pains?

Reply to J

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.