Question
Posted by: Lulu | 2004/11/08

Fertile Focus

Good day all. I bought the Fertile Focus recently and has found it to be rather spot on. I took it out yesterday and tested it on my sister-in-law that is 7 months pregnant and it showed highly fertile! I am expecting my period tomorrow or Wednesday. I also, to show her what the test looks like when a non-fertile person does the test, did the test. I was stunned to see that I am showing "fertile". I redid the test and it again showed positive or fertile. How can this be? I had not had anything to eat and neither did she. Thanks

Hope Tilli has helped you.

3
Posted by: Tilli | 2004/11/08

Hi Lulu,
It is perfectly normal to have ferning just before your period - Fertile Focus measures the estrogen in your saliva.
Below is an extract from the fertile focus web page:
"While estrogen is present in your body throughout your cycle, just prior to ovulation you may have an “estrogen surge” - a marked increase in the presence of estrogen. The increase of estrogen facilitates the ferning patterns in your saliva. An estrogen surge or ovulation may not occur in all cycles for all women.

Are ferning patterns observable at other times in my cycle?
A second second estrogen surge may occur right at the end of your cycle. By monitoring cycle length, and keeping daily results, the second surge should not be confounded with the estrogen surge preceding ovulation. Also, as different women produce differing levels of estrogen, ferning patterns may vary a bit in appearance and duration."

So - that explains both your pre-menstrual ferning and the fact that a pregnant women (due to estrogen levels) had ferning.
Do it again after your period and you will see what "non-fertile" days look like.

Hope that helps!

Reply to Tilli
Posted by: Lulu | 2004/11/08

Does yours do ferning with you being pregnant?

Reply to Lulu
Posted by: Jessica | 2004/11/08

Hi, I also have a fertile focus, it is best to do it 1st thing in the morning, you should use a lot of spit and let it dry properly before looking through the lense. It worked for me, I'm now pregnant after using it for some time.

Don't know why it showed the ferning pattern though and I'm also not sure why it showed fertile on your sister in law, have checked if mine is ferning...

Jessica

Reply to Jessica