Question
Posted by: Louise | 2008/05/28

Fertile

I am on The Patch. I have been for less than 6 months and have not exerienced any side effects. What I want to know, will this affect my fertility in any way? Also, what kind of tests can I go for to check if I am fertile? Will medical aid pay for this? Thank you

Dear Louise
It is unlikely that the patch will cause any fertility related problems. On the contrary, it is sometimes used to help regulate the menstrual cycle in a fertility program. Furthermore, tests which are undertaken to ensure normal fertility should be done when a patient is not using any form of hormonal treatment including contraceptives.