Question
Posted by: ellie | 2005/07/25

feminine without expensive surgery?

i am completely broke and awaiting surgery on the NHS; i am worried about my breasts, i know the cost of implants is not covered by the NHS and im not satisfied with the current size;ive been taking hormones for 1 year and half:is there any hope they will still grow a bit more? im also feeling sad that i cant afford facial surgery since my face is rather masculine.im often addressed as SIR and it kills my confidence and depresses me alot..i get hormones on the nhs so thats the only thing i can afford..will my body change more?thanx

Expert ImageTransgender advisor

Hi there Ellie.

Regarding breast size: it is difficult to say how much more your breasts might grow, as it also depends on your genetics. A friend of mine, said she is already on hormones for three years, and did not experience an huge change as yet. Again that might also vary according to hormane dosage.

About a masculine appearing face, there might also be a few tricks - play with different hairstyles, make up, jewelry. The best advice there is to go for softer feminine looks.

I will highly advise you to look for support groups in your area, as I gather if you speak about NHS, you must stay somewhere in Brittain, and I know there is a lot of support groups there. I stay in South Africa (this webpage is hosted here too) and when I was in the UK on holiday - there were many support groups to choose from.

Why I suggest the support group idea: I know attending one (or even more than one) will not change your situation, but you can network with the other women there, and hear what they do in the same situation. some of the support groups might arrange maybe a guest speaker on fasion tips, wardrobe planning, nails, etc - and to make some nice friends who also will understand where you come from. A load shared, is a load halved!

Best of luck
Liesl