Question
Posted by: M | 2007/05/21

Female letting dog lick her feet

Is it normal for a human to let her dog lick her feet - ALL THE TIME? It freaks me out. I find it difficult to visit. Whenever I get to her house, and as soon as she sits down, or stands still, the dog starts licking her feet. And she loves it! She sometimes stops midway through a sentence, she is so concentrating on the dog licking her feet - she gets this "far away" look in her face. It can surely not be normal? And if she's wearing shoes, she will caress the dog - almost as if it's a human (with the same almost euphoric look in her face)!! But she does not wash her hands before handling food or anything after all this touching. This is so disturbing, that I'd rather not visit. Or am I the mad one? Please help!

It depends on what you mean by ALL THE TIME. While riding in a bus ? While at work ? During the actual marriage ceremony ? Yes, that would be considered abnormal in most communities. Not to wash her hands before handling food, etc, after fondling the dog --- plain unhygienic. Otherwise, she sounds desperately lonely and starved for affection

5
Posted by: problem-solver | 2007/05/22

A dog that licks you is actually licking the salt from your skin - it does have certain minerals that would suit a dog. In plain and simple workds the dog needs to eat more healthy. He enjoys the taste like iceream and instead of her attending to the real needs of the dog she is enjoying the licking. this is not stable as she clearly might have a lickng fetish of some kind. Let her know that the dog is actually lacking minerals and tha she ought to pay attention to the dog. Now we all know that feet cant be that tasty so some of the stuff the dog is licking might in the future affect the dogs health. She is too busy being selfish being licked, This is very very bad.

Reply to problem-solver
Posted by: Echelle | 2007/05/22

It was so funny when you said: she gets this "far away" look in her face... LOL

Reply to Echelle
Posted by: John | 2007/05/22

The "eeeew!" factor in dog spit is understandable, particularly if the dog in question is my neighbour's Boerbool - imaginatively named "Boelie" - who has the incredible ability to let gelatinous icicles of doggie drool swing from his generous jowls 24/7. Besides its potential use as spare spidey web thread, doggie drool is reputed to be able double as a hard-working germ-killer, pulverising of e.coli wherever it finds it. In a fair fight, dog spit can lick an e-coli any day, no mean feat.

Assuming, M, that the lady in question knows that she is a veritable human petri dish and she has a gazillion e-coli flourishing between the toes, then the hourly clean that Rover gives her feet is understandable if not acceptable. Of course, she could always wash her feet but then there's the nuisance of actually doing it herself. If she does not have said e-coli forests on her feet, then I can only assume that the she is deriving tactile pleasure from the doggie-style foot bathe. This is distasteful, disgusting even, and hardly bears thinking about.

Far away look on her face? Eeeeew!!! Sies!!!

Reply to John
Posted by: Blondie.. | 2007/05/22

There's nothing wrong with having a close bond with you pet..put having it lick you feet all the time is so gross..

Rather not visit, or at least ask her to wash her hands before handling the food.

Reply to Blondie..
Posted by: RMC | 2007/05/22

Lots of people bond with dogs like that. I rub/scratch my dogs with my foot often, if I am reading or working on the computer they lie under my feet. I just could not let em lick me as I am soooo ticklish. ALL THE TIME does sound a bit extreme. I love my animals but they also need to give me space.

But as for washing hands -- eugh! I hope your friend has been dewormed.

Reply to RMC