Question
Posted by: BL | 2004/01/09

Female Labrador on Heat

My female labrador has just come on heat for the second time in 6mnths. I would just like to know that does it work the same as humans, that if her menses has come that there is no way that she will fall pregnant, or is it the other way that when there is blood dripping thats when the male can mate with her and she can fall pregnant. How long would it take before we know that she is pregnant? What symptoms would she portray?
I also need to know the male labrador will be 12months old on the 16 feb, is it possible for him to make her pregnant? He is showing keen interest in her the last few days. I have also hear that you have to help them along? Is that true? Sorry for all the questons

Hi BL
I suggest you go and look up on dog breeding on the net or at the library before your dog is pregnant. It is important to know how it works. Your bitch will be in season for about 3 weeks, when she will also bleed (not the same as humans). She is most fertile and receptive in about the middle week, so your male dog could easily impregnate her, even though he is quite young. When they mate they will probably tie, which means they get "stuck" back to back for up to 20 mins, so don't panic. Most breeds, including Labradors, don't need to be helped so I suggest you just keep out of the way and let them get on with it.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST

1
Posted by: Carol | 2004/01/18

Sorry to be a party pooper here ... why do you want to breed ? are both parents registered , have they been checked for all genetic problems that may be common to labradors ??

Both yr dogs are far to young to be parents especialy your bitch ... please rather have her spayed before contributing to the oversupply of unwanted puppies

Reply to Carol