Question
Posted by: Lee | 2011/06/17

female dog pregnancy

My dog is approx 4 weeks pregnant. I have never had to deal with this before - all my pets have been spayed in the past and the lady that gave the dog to me told me she had been spayed. Anyway I need some info : how long is pregnancy duration, are there vitamins we can give her, any extra food needs etc etc also will she need assistance when giving birth

Hi Lee

The average gestation (pregnancy) period for a dog is around 63 +/- 4-5 days. If you use a premium dog food you will have no need to supplement the diet - please check what is available at your local Vet Shop/Veterinary Practice.

There is a lot of information regarding pregnancy and birth protocols/husbandry on the internet and I would advise that you research this information with due diligence in preparation for the birth. If you need further information then contact you local friendly vet.

2
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011/06/23

Hi Lee

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Chill | 2011/06/17

A dog''s gestation (pregnancy) period is normally 9 weeks (63 days).

Provided your dog is healthy, the best thing to do is to start her fairly soon on a really good quality PUPPY food (she should be fed this while she''s pregnant and also while she''s nursing her pups). She will need more food than before, although of course she shouldn''t gain a huge amount of excess weight. Let your vet monitor this, as it''s often hard to tell what''s normal. Once she''s given birth, she should have this food available to her pretty nearly all the time, because of course she''ll need excellent nutrition while feeding her pups.

You don''t say what breed of dog she is, nor her age, nor what breed the likely father of the pups is - all these things are materially significant in predicting whether she is likely to need help giving birth. This is another good reason to involve your vet, because it''s as well to be prepared and also to have the vet up to speed should the dog need help in a hurry.

Reply to Chill