Question
Posted by: Chant | 2005/07/20

Feet trouble...

Hi Doc,
My question is two fold
1) I have callouses under both of my feet which get inflamed when I wear bad shoes and inflame further out than the sole of my foot - which can be very painful? Do I have to have them cut out or will they go away over time?
2) I twisted my ankle for the second time in two months ten days ago.(same ankle, same place). The bruising is bad but the pain is not intense at all. I want to get back into my exercise programme(haven't exercised for the past 10 days) but I don't want to jeopardise the health of my feet?!? Any suggestions on when I can get back to exercise & what exercises I can do to strengthen my ankles?

Many thanks!

Expert ImageArchive

Two quick answers
1) go to a podiatrist for treatment of the calluses call the South African Podiatry assn 0861 100 249
2) The fact that you have sprained the ankle twice in 10 days tells me you didnt treat it the first time, and if you dont treat it correctly this time this will become a pattern.
stop exercising until you have seen a physiotherapist (preferably a sports physio) for full rehab of your ankle the physio will advice when you can return to sport.
do this urgently