Posted by: mE | 2009/04/15

Feels like Im lfalling apart

I dont know what a nervous breakdown is, but I feel like Im close to something like that, feels like Im gonna fall apart at any second. Im emotional all the time, I feel like biting myself cause my skin feels so numb, and I wanna take that feeling away, I cant concentrate at work, its spilled over to how I interact with my child, I have screamed at him this morning and I culd see the terror in his eyes because I kept tryong to keep my cool when he runs away when I need to dress him and eventually I just lost it, I feel terrible cause his just 2....I have thoughts of suicide and bcause I feel I cant leave m son behind with my husband who is one of the biggest reasons why I feel such a mess, I have had thoughts of killing both myself and my son, I think about it alot and it scares me. I wanted to go somewhere last Friday to a hospital for mentally ill people to ask them to admit me cause Iit felt like I was on the brink of a meltdown, I thought I need to be alone away from home where I can harm myself and my son but surrounded by professionals to help me. Can I ask a hospital like that to admit me or must a psychiatrist refer me?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

Hello. OK, whatever the underlying problem is, you're feeling awful and finding it difficult to cope. Please don't think of harming yourself and/or your son --- these problems CAN be solved and you and your son can live long and happy lives ahead. But you obviously need and deserve proper expert help. Arrange for an emergency appointment to see a psychiatrist near you, or if you have difficulty finding one, go to any ordinary hospital, where they can arrange for you to see a psychiatrist as an emergency. Maybe they will recommend admitting you for a short time to start treatment and to help you to sort yourself out, and plans can be made for the care of your son meantime. What I recommend would be more efficient than acually turning up at a psychiatric hospital, as they often admit people referred by a doctor, rather than having their own casualty from which they can admit you. Call Lifeline ( number on this page ) if you are having difficulty making the necessary arragements.
Whatever the problem I am certain that you can be helped and that you should be feeling somewhat better in days, and significantly better in weeks. Then you will be able to sort out the broader problems that have been troubling you, and to find the best and happiest way of life for yourself and your son.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Annie | 2009/04/16

I hope it went well this morning, I have been through the same thing 2 weeks ago, luckily the treatment has been amazing. My husband is also a problem. Whatever you do stick to what the Psychiatrist tells you, i have doen everything they told me, even though some of it sounded a bit " simple"  it does work!

Good luck

Reply to Annie
Posted by: Me | 2009/04/15

Thanks CS and everyone else...Im seeing a psychiatrist tomorrow morning first thing, I think I should hold it together till then. Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate it :-)

Reply to Me
Posted by: Sweet | 2009/04/15

My sister had the same problem, she got help from Vista Clinic in Centurion. Good luck.

Reply to Sweet
Posted by: Peaces | 2009/04/15

Hi - I also admitted myself a couple of years ago and there is no way that it can effect your family negatively, they will in fact help you to cope and make your OWN plans and goals that you are not in a place to make now. I had to leave my children with my mom for 6 weeks and it was the best thing I ever did!

Reply to Peaces
Posted by: Lawyer | 2009/04/15


Reply to Lawyer
Posted by: Silver | 2009/04/15

Why not see someone who can help you through this as opposed to havng yourself admitted.
I could be wrong here but they may even take your son away from you untill you are able to cope.
I' m not saying you shouldn' t have yourself seen to but there are other ways before you should want to have yourself admitted.

Reply to Silver

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.