Question
Posted by: pjb2005 | 2005/12/05

feelings of inadequacy getting in the way.

I am 37 years young, and not been in a relationship for over 7 years. The reason being that I do not feel good enough for anybody, but have blamed limited time. I have had opportunities before but felt to afraid to do anything about them, so I just let them go. I have explored depression, but I don’t think this to be the reason for my feelings of inadequacy. Many times I have convinced myself that it is just the way it is, and so be it. I recently went on a date with a really lovely woman,. Although there was always this feeling of inadequacy, I seemed to get through ok. I am attracted to her in many ways, although more physically than any other. I would like to contact her, but I have no idea of what to say. I know this seems lame to many, but my mind freezes and all I can think of is absolutely nothing, except just getting the hell out of the situation. This not happens only with women I am attracted to but with everybody else too and even people I have known all my life. So the question is what do I do about these feelings of inadequacy – where did they come from. ???

Surely you really deserve to see a good local counsellor, preferably one practising CBT (Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) to solve these problems. You can recognize your own strengths and adequacies and lose that sense of inadequacy

1
Posted by: CaT | 2005/12/05

Hey pjb2005,
sounds awfully like what im going through, only i have been this way my entire life, whereas it sounds like you have only developed it lately (last 7-8 odd years).
I have social anxiety disorder, maybe you could research a bit into that field, see if you can turn up any similarities.
as for where it came from, lol, thats a very good question i cannot answer.
As for treatment, well thats a whole other issue you'll discover upon research, called CBT ( cognitive behavioural therapy)
Hope this helps :)
*C*

Reply to CaT