Posted by: career girl | 2008/10/07

Feeling unsure/guilty in my job

I' m 22 female. Not sure how to explain my situation.

At the moment I have been working at a travel agency for just over 2 years. It' s something I never studied afterwards or go on courses like the other consultants. I never studied after school either. I just happened to land in this job as they have websites which I maintain and keep updated. I am trying to teach myself web design but I' m not getting very far with it. Too teach myself something so technical and complex is not easy for me. It' s frustrating because I am suppose to have someone teaching me website design but he' s never around to help me out at all and it' s his websites he designed for the company I work for which he has passed over to me to handle. I do other travel related work which involves me booking accommodation in town. At the end of the day I feel so guilty that I haven' t had much work to do during the day. I also work with the advertising of the company and compose my own flyers or work with others who design the adverts for us for magazines in the country. My main problem is that I feel I am not gaining any experience in my job. I feel sometimes I' m not sure what my job really is in thsi company. I' m always getting told by my superiors that I will start to learn " this"  and " that"  and it never seems to happen. I would now like to learn the booking system the other consults use so I will have to go for training. I' m really looking forward to it as it will keep my mind occupied and I will gain more experience. But then again I think to myself that it' s just all talk and no action. When will it happen? I' ve asked my superior that I want to get started right away. There are always delays for some reason. I don' t understand why? I really feel I am in the wrong job. I also think to myself what will happen when I leave. Who will be here to maintain the websites and to answer all the general enquiries that come through from the sites. I also need to think about myself and what I want to make of my life.

The company I work for has 2 offices. I do not work with the other consultants but my manager is at the same office I am at and she comes and goes whenever she pleases so for the rest of the day it is me and only me at the office. All alone. So there again what am I doing here. I have no one to talk to. No one to sit with and watch and learn and gain some experience from the work they do.

I also work some Saturdays with the other consultants and that' s where I am the busiest. To be honest I am not a people person. I enjoying just doing my work and getting things done but I do not like to work with people or money.

I do believe that my real passion in life is photography. It' s something I enjoy so much and I' ve got the right camera to use professionaly. I' m obessed with photography to be honest.

It has also happened that I will go out and about to take photos of our town and use images for advertising purposes in our company. I

I just find it hard to understand why I' m in this job. What is my real job in this company. I do all sorts of odds and ends but I want to feel stable. I feel I am not doing enough. This is not me no matter how hard I try. I just don' t fit in this job description of being a travel agent. I want to learn it to see how far I can actually go.

Ag I' ve said a lot of mumble jumble here. One would have to be in my shoes to really see. I' m lucky to have a job. It doesn' t pay well at all. There' s no way I could live on my own and buy a car. I don' t even have medical aid. I can' t afford that on my salary.

Do you think it' s time to move on. Maybe I should put my mind to something and study photography. At least I get the greatest pleasure from taking photos.

I'm sure other readers should be able to offer some useful suggestions here, as this is outside my areas of expertise. I'd think the employer has to provide you with an accurate job description, and should also be ibliged to provide you with relevant training to enable you to cary out what they want from you.

Posted by: SR | 2008/10/07

You are 22 and your whole life is ahead of you. If you plan your career or life in chunks of 5 years then a quality decision you make right now will bear fruit within 2 to 5 years no matter if there is an initial set back in the short term. i.e. the whole concept of taking 1 step back in order to take a few steps forward.

Think medium to long term and all those worries you have right now seem to fade to grey

Its healthy that you are thinking this way right now because its a sure sign that you are ready for change in your life

lots of success

Reply to SR