Question
Posted by: Adriaan | 2003/12/21

Feeling sick when starting a diet

Hi. I have a weight problem, but the trick is, every time I DO try out a diet (low-fat, lots of veggies, chicken, etc.) I almost immediately get sick. It feels as if my blood sugar plays see-saw, dizzyness, etc. I cannot seem to jump into a diet, it's too much of a shock for the body at once, going from no water to 8 glasses of water, and from cereal and milk to salads and tuna. In about 2-3 days I tend to give up. If I take supplements like vit C or anti-oxidants, I tend to feel tired and irritable. How can I lose weight this way? You also recommend some exercise, but I am so tired when I get onto a diet that I can scarcely walk to the door, headaches, feet pains, etc. What to do?

Dear Adriaan
Start off by having a complete medical checkup to see if you suffer from hypoglycaemia or insulin problems. Also consult a clinical dietitian, who will work out a slimming diet that does not make you tired and dizzy depending on the findings of your medical checkup. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian. You won't regret it.