Posted by: Lizzelle | 2006/11/06

feeling helpless

I'm feeling helpless standing back and watching a child become victim of (my guess is Munchausen's by proxy). Child on a list of currently 11 different medication prescribed by at least 5 different Paediatricians and Drs (in different towns) for such a tender age - its medical history is unbelievable.
The mum is a longterm drug - opiod- user and under outpatient Psychiatric care. How is it that no-one concerned has questioned this case further beyond the drug abuse?
There are many people concerned about this - but no-one taking responsibility - because we don't know how to and what to do? Is it acceptable to have a confidential word with the Psychiatrist involved? or is it best to not get involved?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

Sounds most alarming. And if this iresponsible mother is indeed taking her child to different docs, and probably not telling ANY of them that he has sen the others, or what other meds he is on, she could indeed be endangering his health. And whoever is treating her drug addiction, ought to be at least keeping an eye on how well she is ( or isn't ) looking after her child. Maybe a call to the shrink or clinic dealing with her adiction, tellling them that her child is at risk, being taken to see many docs and on multiple meds, would help. And I agree with Momof3 that the local Child Welfare ought to be informed, so they can formally investigate this

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Momof3 | 2006/11/07

I think getting Child Welfare involved is a good idea.they can take it up with the Psychiatrist to see if the mother is fit to look after a child.Perhaps she needs to go into rehab and the chld to foster care of a family member.

Contact the local Child Welfare and ask then to vivst the child /family in question.The child cant speak for itself so please speak for him/her.

Reply to Momof3

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.