Question
Posted by: glen | 2004/11/26

Feeling exhausted.

Good day, I have been on a diet that reduces your fat intake for the last month and have successfully lost 7kg. My proplem is that I went to bed feeling fine but woke up exhausted. Could this be related to loosing weight?

Dear Glen
It depends how strictly this diet reduces your fat intake, as you still need some fat in your diet even if you are slimming. Human beings require the so-called 'essential fatty acids' like omega-3 and omega-5 for good health and proper body function. To compensate it may be advisable to take a supplement which contains omega-3 and -6. This diet must have also been highly energy restricted if you lost 7 kg in 4 weeks. A more gradual loss of 0,5 to 1 kg per week would have been safer and less exhausting. Check if your diet is too minimalistic and low in energy and add some additional carbohydrates to your daily intake, e.g. Durum pasta, brown rice, high-bran cereals, fruit and vegetables, etc, to supply you with readily available energy.
Hope you soon feel less exhausted.