Question
Posted by: Ann | 2004/11/12

feeling dizzy and wanting to faint

Dear Doctor
For a few months I have been getting dizzy spells where it feels as if I am going to faint and my sight is also wierd during the spell. I have had an ECG during one such episode but all was normal and I have been tested for Diabetes but that was also normal. This seems to be happening every day and it is worrying me. I have been told that it could be low blood sugar. Is this possible and if so what is the difference between low blood sugar and diabetes and what do I do to prevent this from happening in future.
Tks

Ann, diabetes is when you have high blood sugar and the best way to determine whether you have low blood sugar is to have your sugar level tested when you’re feeling dizzy. You should also have your blood pressure tested at the same time as it might also be due to low blood pressure.
The treatment of low blood sugar in the absence of a serious underlying disorder is following a specific diet. You can mail me at CyberDoc@mweb.co.za if you’re interested in a general guideline. Good luck.