Question
Posted by: Eagle | 2004/11/25

Feeling Depressed

Hi all & CS,

I know it is kind of late in the afternoon, however, I just need someone to say something that will cheer me up. I don't have major hangups or problems (normal work stress), in fact I have so much to be grateful for if I compare it with other peoples problems on this forum.

I am just feeling terribly lonely today and in need of some TLC. CS, why do we sometimes just have bad days and feel like this? I am making my life miserable for myself and it is so totally unwanted. Compared to my nromal feel good and positive attitude.

Guess I just need that hug or two and hope that this depressed mood will hit the road.

Christmas just 1 month away - why is it that some of the people feel more depressed over the holiday season? Should it not be the opposite?

Well enough said, thanks for reading my message.

Funny, Eagle, I used to have questions like that, until I got dug into the medical curriculum. And while it never told me WHY we have some bad days, it impressed me by how enormously miraculous it was that ANY of us EVER have everything in our body working right, let alone everything in the complexities of society working reasonably well, that my question became " GOsh, how do any of us manage to feel fine so much of the time ? The other good thing is that this sort of depression with a small d, IS always temporary, and will go as mysteriously as it came.
And people often feel worse over Christmas and other holidays, because the contract between how they feel, and all the Yo-Ho-Ho jollity they see around them, seems greater at such times. As a sad little nun once said to me " There seems to be Joy ringing from every steeple in town, except mine".
And maybe towards the end of the year, we unconsciously start to realize that not all of those great things we reslved to get dont this year, will get done this year.

Posted by: Stressed | 2004/11/26

I recently moved up to Cape Town - I have no family or friends here. So the move has been quiet stressful to say the least.
I also have a lot of issues that I need to talk about - I need to talk to someone professional - can you help with some references.

Reply to Stressed
Posted by: Aretha Franklin | 2004/11/25

Hi Eagle
Sometimes such feelings are brought by some hormonal changes in our bodies.Sometimes it helps a lot just to listen to your body especially if your are female....I dont know much about males.Some say its to do with the moon.They say if its FullMoon then things start going haywire and people go crazy...that I have witnessed also.
I can only say at this time of the year only fear of unknown brings about such depressing feelings ie you not sure if you gonna have a pleasant fesive,you look back at the year thats passing by and sometimes you cant measure anything that you did for yurself then you start panicking just thinking of the year to come...just a thought if its gonna be a good one or not is enough to make you feel down.
Lets cheer up and hope for the best

Reply to Aretha Franklin
Posted by: Not sure | 2004/11/25

Sometimes things just get too much. Especially around this time of year. I am also very lonely, but that is of my own doing. I have distanced everyone that means something to me because I am scared to get hurt again. So I am depressed most of the time.

Reply to Not sure
Posted by: Mona | 2004/11/25

Hiya, the only thing about Christmas that depresses me is the weight that i have to loose in the new year!! And maybe the financial burden of spending all your money on Christmas, and then suffering through January.....

I hope your blue Thursday clears up soon!! Here is a big fat <<<HUG>>> for you, look on the bright side, tomorrow is FRIDAY!!

What about spoiling yourself tonight with your favourite food, or maybe your favourite restaurant, nice company, nice wine....

Chin up!!

Reply to Mona
Posted by: Hartseer | 2004/11/25

I felt about the same yesterday and the people on this forum helped me. You must be strong and tell us if there is something else bothering you? It is funny but you can be amongst people and still feel lonely. Well, here is a big hug for you!! HUG-HUG

Reply to Hartseer