Question
Posted by: Darren | 2008/01/02

Feel like crying

I have a very unusual problem. When I was saying goodbye to some friends, who are not very close to me, I felt like crying. This has happend on many occassions. I just hugged them and said goodbye and felt like tearing. I then shook hands with my friends brother and wished him well for 2008 and again I felt like tearing. This has happend quite often. And these people are not very close to me, they just got on very well with me. Is this normal behaviour.

Its within the boundaries of normal behaviour, though clearly it could be embarrassing and inconvenient. It may mean that you are upset by other things, current or recent, and have concerns for other reasons about saying goodbye to someone significant to you, and this unfinished issue is spilling over into less significant events that contain some sort of echo of whatever the original concern was. Seeing a good counsellor, especially of the CBT form, could help efficiently and without taking very long, to sort this out