Question
Posted by: Shadow | 2007/12/24

feeding schedule for cats

Hi Doc and fellow cat people

I've always left a big bowl of dry food (and water) out for my cats because they never eat a lot at a time, they nibble all day. My vet now recommended 2 meals a day and take the food away when they're finished because they're really fat and I can't see when one of them has lost appetite, etc. I feel so BAD to let them go hungry because they still don't eat a lot at one of these meals. I'm afraid they'll go and eat at my neighbour's place too when there's no food at home.

What are your ideas on the nibble/meals issue, which is best? And how long do you think it will take for them to learn the new schedule?

If the cats are tending to be over weight their food intake must be restricted to get them to a healthy weight again. This may involve feeding specific volumes of food. You will need to explain to your neighbours that the cats are on a strict diet and that they must not feed them. Some cats will go and eat elsewhere so keeping them indoors may be the only option. Once they are back to healthy weight you can feed them a light diet.

2
Posted by: Chill | 2007/12/24

I don't know if this will make you feel any better - but can't you rather feel BAD letting your cats be overweight? I know it's hard denying them food, but really it's for their own benefit, and they will get used to it surprisingly quickly. Just grit your teeth and tell yourself it's for their own good, which just happens to be the truth!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Kate | 2007/12/24

I feed 2x a day only.
This way I can monitor my cats and have to date always managed to nip a medical problem in the bud just by monitoring food intake.
I must say that if I go out or work at night I always give a "midnight' snack just so that i can do a headcount before I go to bed, my cats have now listen out for my car and all come running for their midnight snack.
Just stick to the strict feeding regime and they should adapt.

I can also feed certain cats food more suited to their needs (ie one is old, one has a coat problem, one is very fat and the other 3 eat normal cat food)

Reply to Kate