Question
Posted by: Taliep | 2007/05/08

Feeding of 3 week old puppies (Husky's)

Mother is drained by them.
What can i do to help Her to feed them.

You can feed them puppy milk (Milkopup) and slowly introduce stage 1 puppy food. Also feed the mother more to help increase her milk production. She needs three (3) times as much food while producing milk.

1
Posted by: WR | 2007/05/08

Hi there,

My GSD had 9 pups, and she fed them all without me having to supplement - all I did was her literally as much Puppy food as she wanted/ could eat. Make sure the food you are feeding her IS for lactating bitches. I tried to supplement the puppies from 3 weeks old but they only showed interest in the soften puppy food at around 4 weeks. They all suckled till the day they left.
Mom should produce enough milk for the pups (if she is healthy etc) but you must obviously give her enough 'fuel' to produce it!
Another thing; we humans are very weird......we usually think that the puppies are tooo skinny and obviously are not getting enough milk and in the mean time they are quite content. In the end a 'leaner' puppy is usualy better than a 'rounder' puppy.

In the end - why not take mother and pups for a general check-up at the Vet - then he can give you the best advise (as he'll then be seeing the pups and mom)...!

Good luck!

Reply to WR