Question
Posted by: yorkie | 2007/04/25

FEEDING A YORKIE-PLEASE HELP!!!!

Cyber Vet can you please help me, I am sooo confused at the moment about what to feed my yorkies. I used to feed them royal canin for yorkies with mixed in cooked chicken breasts and give them 1 greenie a day for their breath. About a week ago i changed to RAW, they dont really like it that much, but we are trying. I now went onto a website for yorkie nutrition and it says I should cook the food for my yorkies and that they need 45% Carbs in their diet. RAW says no carbs and they need raw bones for their teeth. In this yorkie website it says all dogs have diff nutritional needs, is this so?

Royal Canin has a number of diets formulated for specific breeds as you know. The proportions of ingredients probably differ with additional ingredients being added for specific breeds. Carbohydrates are added to some diets to increase the amount of food the dog will eat. The premium brand foods have little "padding" and that is why they are more nutritious and less is needed to provide the dogs requirements. Some dogs do not take kindly to changes in diet as regular changes can cause an upset in digestion. If you can feed them a premium well formulated veterinary diet it will be to their advantage. I am however aware of the concerns of many with regards to using some of these foods at present.

3
Posted by: Joni | 2007/04/26

Hi Yorkie

When I converted to RAW, I fed chicken exclusively for the first 3 weeks, then added turkey in week 4 for one meal, then added pork in additional to the turkey for week 5, then added fish in addition to the week 4 & 5 additions in week 6, and only added organs in week 7. A wing might be a bit daunting for a little dog, my miniture malteser's first raw meal was a chicken neck and a few pieces of chicken and she has now graduated to whole backs.

Mine now eat a weekly menu as follows:
Monday
Chicken & egg for breakfast Fish for dinner
Tuesday
Chicken for breakfast Lamb or beef & liver for dinner
Wednesday
Chicken for breakfast Pork for dinner
Thursday
Chicken or turkey for breakfast Fish & meaty bones for dinner
Friday
Chicken for breakfast Turkey or ostrich for dinner
Saturday
Lamb or beef and liver for b/fast Green tripe and bone meal
Sunday
Chicken for breakfast Venison/ beef/lamb & egg
& kidneys

A good ratio is 70% muscle meat, 20% bone and at least 10% organs a week. I like to feed organs 3 x a week, fish twice a week and eggs twice a week. I give things like chicken feet, soft bones, rib bones, scapulae and fresh pigs ears as treats every 2nd day.

Remember that they might hold out on you on purpose for a day or two in the hope you'll relent and put out kibble or cook for them. Some of mine didn't eat for 2 days and by day 3 they ate no problems and haven't looked back. You need to put their food out for 1/2 an hour and if they don't eat it in that 1/2 hour, you must pick it up, put it in the fridge and serve it again for the next meal. Some dogs become addicted to the carbs and flavourants in the food and take time to adjust. Perseverance will eventually pay off. Dogs can also pick up on your anxiety and play you on it. Put their food down and walk away for the 1/2 hour. When putting the food down, watch your body language, if you hesitate so will they. In the beginning I always put their food out all exaggerated happy, chatty and excited.

Please don't worry a dog will never starve itself, I know its nerve-wracking and upsetting but perseverence and tough love will pay off. Have you looked at the rawfeeding sites I listed? You can also try rawfed dot com

Good luck and mail me if you need to chat!

Reply to Joni
Posted by: yorkie | 2007/04/26

I started with a chicken wing, then gave some ground beef and bone, and a beef bone once but mainly just the chicken. They would not touch the organ meat. I just gave them a little. Twice a day I feed them. Yesterday all day they ate nothing, gave them a chicken foot, a beef bone, small amount of organ and some ground beef, left it all for them the whole day and they din;t touch it. So last night I felt bad and made them cooked chicken which they loved.. I want to give them the best but also want them o enjoy it!

Reply to yorkie
Posted by: Joni | 2007/04/25

Hi "Yorkie"

Just want to check, when you switched to RAW, how did you do it? What meat did you start with? Did you feed it whole or ground? How much do you feed? Are they eating it? Did you include organ meat straight away? How often are you feeding?

Apologies for the 20 questions but I just need to get all the facts so I can help you. I know there are Yorkie RAW feeders on my Yahoo Group, please email me if you want the link to the group jonivanderwesthuizen at yahoo dot com (remove the spaces and replace at with the sign and the dot with . )

I don't feed any of my 5 dogs differently with the exception of portion size and weight.

Reply to Joni