Question
Posted by: Goldie | 2004/09/21

Feeding a golden retriever at 12 months

I have a golden retriever puppy one week away from his very first birthday. Up until now, we have been feeding him 3 meals. He gets his biscuits and fresh water. But at lunch and dinner time some soft Alpo too( loves the chicken and beef casseroles!) I am careful not to feed him too much and always ensure plenty fresh water. However, I think I read that he will be fully grown at 18 months. I read up as much as I can because I have owned cats all my life and this little guy is my first dog. What I want your help with is how to feed him from now on. I know I must reduce the three meals to 2 at some stage. The question is when?Should I start know at 12 months or at 18?

You're ready to start reducing their meals to twice a day. Depending on the manufacturer of your diet, you may either change to the adult diet at one year, or 18 months of age. Read the instructions on the pack of food that you are currently using or phone their helpline. These instructions are different for different manufacturers, and also sometimes for different breeds according to the manufacturer.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

1
Posted by: goldie | 2004/09/23

Thank you!

Reply to goldie