Question
Posted by: Nip-nip | 2006/10/30

Feedback-Dog Scratching

Thank you Blaah for the Sellotape advise will try it.
On thursday i posted here about my Border collie scratching himself after being exposed to lot of ticks .
Like i mentioned before that i took him to the Vet and was given injection but after two weeks the it started again even after applying Frontliner on him.
So i took him back to the Vet on Friday night and he said "maybe" is allergy and wa given the same injection just to stop the aching.somehow i'm not convinced.anyone out there had the same problem

Th einjection will probably stop the itch for a while but not cure the problem. Unfortunately is it necessary to find the cause to be able to treat it properly. Are all the ticks gone?

4
Posted by: Chill | 2006/10/31

It's not your only option. Go see a specialist dermatologist, and find out what he/she has to say! If all that's happened so far is what you describe, you're not anywhere near having to do those tests!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Nip-nip | 2006/10/31

Thank you very much for the info,i feed my dog vet's choice the one in red packing. although last week i bought them Ultra dog since the vet was out of stock.but that i don't think would have been a problem.anyway my only option now i think will be for the tests.although i'm still figuring how i will raise that money. Thank once more

Reply to Nip-nip
Posted by: Chill | 2006/10/31

I don't really have anything to add, other than that skin conditions are among the most common queries on this forum, and there's a whole lot of archive material, so I suggest you browse through this.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Blaah | 2006/10/30

yes

my dog is allergic to grass in spring, she can lick herself till she bleeds, she is also allergic to flea spit. All she needs is for one flea to jump on her have a bite and she will itch to kingdom come.

The injections the vet is giving your dog is more likely cortisone (this only helps to stop the itching for a period of time and does not cure the problem), please note that cortisone makes pets pick up weight so remember to watch you doggies weight.

Ask your vet if he is advisable for you to give you doggie an antihistamine, i find that giving my doggie half a tablet on bad days helps, but note i do not do this often, self medicating is a very bad idea, i was told by my vet to give her a pill on bad days so she doesn’t chew herself till she bleeds

the only way you will know for definite what your doggie is allergic to is if you take your dog for blood tests
these cost between 1500-2000 and they are sent to the states for testing.

i am seriously thinking of doing this with my dog, but it is very expensive.

Also itching can be the result of food allergies the most common being: Rice, bread, dairy and red meat
so what you are feeding your dog may have a part to play

Vet's Choice has a sensitive for (grey bag) for dogs prone to food allergies, feeding the dog this and only this no extras may also help, there are other brands available for the same thing, but vets choice is the cheapest.

Reply to Blaah