Question
Posted by: Tina | 2007/05/05

Fed Up - no pun intended!

I have been suffering from constipation for 5 years, I am active, I drink water, I eat lots of raw veggies and fruits. I hate taking fibre, though, as this makes me feel bloated, causes severe abdominal swelling and discomfort the minute I have eaten it. I am considering colon irrigation. Is it really that bad and what are those hideous things that "crawl" out of people who are brave enough to add pictures of their post irrigation testimonials?

Dear Tina
I can understand that you feel discouraged if you constantly suffer from constipation. The fact that you are sensitive to wheat fibre is a problem as this usually can be used in the form of wheat bran (1-3 T with your cereal in the morning) to counteract constipation. I am personally not in favour of colonic irrigation is this process removes the 'good' bacteria or flora from your digestive tract along with any stools. The hideous things that 'crawl' out of patients are in my opinion, trick photos, because there is nothing in the bowel but faeces and we all know what they look like. In patients who do not suffer from worm infestations, all that will emerge is faeces. I would like to suggest that you do 3 things before you even consider colonic irrigation: a) eat 2-3 T of boiled dried fruit every morning, b) start using probiotics ('good' bacteria) in the form of Bifidoflora or Intestiflora (buy at health shops), c) if these first 2 measures do not assist you to have regular bowel motions then try Fybogel (buy at chemist) which is a gentle laxative that does not destroy your normal bowel movements or cause dehydration, etc which harsh laxatives do.