Question
Posted by: Chantal | 2007/06/17

Fear when drinving open road and height

Please help.I am very afraid of heights, almost cant take the stairway down. Also when driving on the open road I get pannicked. Feels as if my car will run off the side of the road. Hand sweatting, feel numb. Not a problem whn driving in town, only open roads. Can go up the stairs but feels as if I am going to fall when I have to go down the stairs. My legs feels as if the get weak. Was always afraid of hights, but for the las 2 years it is getting worse and worse. No accident or anything that happend in my past that I can think helped this on. I am desperate. Used to take long rides for km on end, no I cant even drive 10 km out of town. Please help

OK, two fairly specific examples of phobi anxety. And its typical that if we allow this to go untreated, and get more involved in trying to avoid situations in which one feels uneasy, the degree of fear often grows. Fortunately it can be extremely effectively treated, best of all with a combination of medication like antidepressants, and CBT, Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy which enables you to unlearn the habits of fear, and to re-take control of such situations and your reactions to them.