Question
Posted by: ngququ | 2008/07/16

Fear of spiderwebs

Good Day

Does fear of spiderwebs fall under the fear of spiders or does it have its own name? I dislike spiders, but do not fear them, mainly coz they create spider webs. A web is something else altogether. Just the thought leaves me gagging. Should one touch me I freeze & would do anything to get rid of it. I often avoid things that I think will result in spiderwebs, e.g. some house plants - unless I clean & move them frequently so that no dust gathers to attract spiders. I could just go on...

When it comes to spiderwebs I have a sixth sense, I will freeze while walking coz there'd be a spiderweb floating by. I'm first to notice it no matter how small it seems. If there's no one around to help me get rid of the web, I do it, but with trembling inside & I feel nauseous. I've thrown away items that were in good condition coz I used them to remove a web, as I'd now be scared of touching the item knowing where it's been.

Accidental contact with a web leaves me cold & if someone has touched a web, then they must wash their hands or do whatever it takes to convince me that their hands are now fine. I don't see any beauty in spiderwebs, just fear & the thought that they musn't come near me. I've had this fear as long as I can remember.

Kind regards,
Ngququ

Naming fears is of little value, but such fears respond very well indeed to proper treatment, especially with CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) so see a good local psychologist for a proper assessment and advice on treatment. You'll be surprised at how relatively easily and quickly you can unlearn this fear and get free from it

1
Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/07/31

O my gosh, I thought I was the only one. spider webs are horrible. especially when there's black widows with thier gigantic webs in the corner of your bedroom