Question
Posted by: Dee | 2008/06/30

Fear of dentists

Hi CS!

I have a real fear of dentists - it stems from when I was a young girl & we had to go to a school dentist who was really mean. Needless to say, I havent made going to the dentist a high priority - but have to now as I have a nasty dental abscess. My doctor was great & gave me wonderful pain killers (yay!!) and antibiotics but says that when the infection clears, I have to go to the dentist. How can I overcome this fear? I also have two daughters who have to learn that going to the dentist is okay - I cant expect them to do it if I wont do it myself. Do you have any suggestions for me please?

Thank you!!

A psychologist, using benahviour therapy and CBT methods could help you unlearn your fearful expectations of dentistry, and learn to relax and control the anxiety and discomfort. And of course, as others have said, find a good and understanding dentist

3
Posted by: Kay in Gtown | 2008/07/01

Definitely a good idea to tell the dentist that you are terrified of dentists as you walk in the door. You are in plentiful company and a good dentist will take care to explain everything to you and make sure you don't feel any pain.

Reply to Kay in Gtown
Posted by: **** | 2008/06/30

I had exactly the same! I was petrified and never went, until I was forced to go for a root canal and you know what - I did not feel a damn thing! I told de doctor that I've had a bad experience and that I'm petrified and he really went out of his way to make this one a pleasant experience. Injected me twice for pain, and the injection is nothing! Good luck.

Reply to ****
Posted by: sen | 2008/06/30

I went through the same.

You need to find a good dentist. I found a lovely on in Edenvale. She is really very careful and considerate. My kids run to be the first on the dentist's chair.....something I certainly NEVER did.

Ask your friend and colleges for references...

Reply to sen