Question
Posted by: anonymous | 2005/11/28

fear of carbs and getting fat

Hey cybershrink
I know this is really f*cked up but I am scared of eating carbohydrates and especially scared of getting fat.Every time I give myself time to let my emotions come to surface I just binge and throw up.It helps me cope with how I feel and I don't know how to stop.Any advice on how to keep my mind occupied or any possitive feedback that might help?please i've had enough...ps:Don't bother saying go to rehab-already been 3 times!

Sounds like a fairly typical Eating Disorder, needing specialized treatment from a good local psychiatrist, preferably at a unit specializing in Eating Disorders, rather than typical rehab. CBT counselling would be an excellent addition.

4
Posted by: Lee | 2005/11/29

oh.. an perhaps you should see a councellor to deal with your emotions so that you dont transfer it to binging to feel better. As I understand this is a very common problem - to eat to feel better. If you have your emotions and thoughts under control perhaps you wont need food as a crutch to help you get through.

Reply to Lee
Posted by: Lee | 2005/11/29

I totally agree with fio and purple. Remember... energy in = energy out then you can't really put on the weight. Its extremely unhealthy for you to cut out a specific food group.. Remember its all in balance.

Perhaps you could go see a nutritionist who can work out a PROPER diet for you.. not a fad diet which will make you pick up twice the amount of weight when you are off it. The diets nutritionists work out are usually balances (to make sure you get all you need) and realistic.

Remember.. if you cut out certain foods you body is only going to demand that you get it in a craving... hence the binging. You won't crave nearly as much if your body is getting what it needs

Reply to Lee
Posted by: Purple | 2005/11/29

No particular type of food will make you fat. Too much food is what is fattening - particularly if you eat very fatty or very sugary foods.

All sorts of fad diets try to get you to give up different food groups, and this is where people get the idea that carbohydrates or protein are fattening, or the idea that particular food items are fattening - potatoes and avos - both of which are very good for you.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: figured it out | 2005/11/29

Instead of trying to fight carbs, try understand them. Try understand that carbs are actually an essential part of your diet, but that not all carbs are bad carbs. i know the feeling, everytime you eat one piece of carb, you imagine 10kgs of fat going down your throat to line itself somewhere on your belly or butt! Ok, so some carbs are like that (though not 10kgs), but a lot of carbs are actually not like that.

So, just do a little research and find the good carbs, and realise that eating those carbs is actually good for you, and it feeds your body the energy needed to actually stop your body storing fat.

Think of it this way, when you dont drink enough water, your body learns to store it whenever it gets it. Water retention is cause more through not drinking water than drinking it. Same with carbs. If you dont get a steady intake of carbs through the day, your body will learn to store it whenever it gets it. So, start eating very small quantities of carbs through the day, it will make no difference to you, and will train your body not to store it. And then when you do go out to a party or something, and see that yummy food full of carbs, when you eat it your body will be ok withj it, and not store it.

This is the basic physiology of carbs. I hope that in understanding carbs, and making them your friend, you wont feel the need to fight them anymore.

Reply to figured it out