Question
Posted by: Pam | 2004/11/22

Fear

Good morning CS and all the beautiful people in this forum.

Today I have an issue that I would like your advice on.
Here goes: I am somebody who constantly worries about what other people think of me. This is a BIG issue in my life. After a conversation with someone, I always worry of what I did/didn’t say, how I said it etc. I really need skills to be able to overcome this problem. I was hurt by so many people while growing up, as a result I judge people very quickly about what they might be thinking about me, and in the process that leaves ME unhappy. I am afraid of being myself because I think I will be judged. I don’t know how to change this.

If any of you had this problem, please tell me exactly what you did to overcome it. Thank you.
Pam

Morning, Pam,
Sounds like a lack of self-confidence, possibly related to your earlier experiences of being made to feel bad about yourself, leading to a set of untrue but highly convincing assumptions about yourself and life --- you may tend to assume that you will be judged by others ( when the sadder truth may be that they're actually paying rekmarkably little attention to you ) ; and that if anyone else did "judge" or assess you, they'd have to think little of you ( rather than recognizing that there is much about you that they could admire and enjoy ) ; and that there is something wrong with "yourself" which would lead them to dislike you if they ever saw that terrible "self", rather than realizing that :yourself" is a perfectly nice self, which people could like.
Counselling / psychotherapy, especially of the CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ) model, can be highly effective in helping you to assess and revise such assumptions and to find more fruitful ways of enjoying your interactions with others.