Question
Posted by: Thea | 2005/11/25

Fatty layer around liver

My husband went for a ultrasound scan on his abdomen and they discovered that he as a fatty layer around his liver. What could be the cause of this. He does not drink excessively and only has one or two drinks when we are having a social event (which is not often). Is there someting I can do to try and rectify this through changing his diet?

Dear Thea
Fatty deterioration of the liver can be caused by a variety of factors, not just alcohol abuse, such as exposure to harmful chemicals, virus infections and diseases (e.g. hepatitis). I think you should go back to the dr and ask him/her what could have caused this condition. He needs to eat a diet that is low in fat and high in protective nutrients. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Food as medicine' and read the articles on liver disease. It may also be a good idea to consult a clinical dietitian (check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area) to help you work out at diet that protects the liver.

1
Posted by: Rachel | 2016/04/22

I went for my six month checkup today and found out I have a fatty liver. The doctor said that it could be from the Chemotherapy I had or cholesterol. I had breast cancer previously. Will it help if I take milk Thristle.

Reply to Rachel