Question
Posted by: black beauty | 2007/07/31

fats in healthy food

i would like to know if i should add butter to my porridge and should i butter my bread (brown bread of course)

Dear Black Beauty
Butter contains so-called saturated fat and cholesterol, so it is healthier to add poly- or monounsaturated margarine to your porridge and your bread as these margarines do not contain much saturated fat and no cholesterol.
Enjoy

1
Posted by: alternative | 2007/08/01

Butter is a healthy fat as opposed to margarine. Margarine is heated to temperatures above 200 deg C and then passed over a catalyst in the presence of hydrogen gas. At these high temperatures it is pretty likely that you will form trans fatty acids. These have been proven to be carcinogenic hence why they are removed in first world economies. In SA I am pretty sure that they are not removed

But in any case hydrogenated vegetable oil (which is margarine) is an artificial food that your body does not know what to do with. There is no evidence that it is good for you anyway.

Butter is not heated before it gets to the consumer, is a natural fat that has not been tampered with

But since you are eating porridge and brown bread which will increase blood sugar levels and cause you to put on fat it does not really matter whether you use butter or margarine

Fat when consumed will fill you up in a much healthier way instead of cramming yourself full of porridge or "brown bread"

Reply to alternative