Posted by: fatigue girl | 2008/06/10

fatigued all the time

I have a relatively busy lifestyle, but im tired all the time - find it hard to get out of bed - like I could sleep for 10 more hours and ive been getting depressed and anxious too. I try to eat healthily - brown rice, salmon, oats, fruit and drink lots of water, and I exercise 30 minutes a day. I get about 8/9 hours sleep a night. I take 500mg of vit C and a vit B complex. I had a hair analysis test a while ago and it said that my magnesium levels were really low. I took a supplement for about a year but have stopped now because I don't want my body too get used to it. I had glandular fever and was hospitalised for a month 10 years ago, I don't know if that could affect me still. And I also have a hiatus hernia. I eat cereal and chocolate and nuts to keep me going in the afternoon and im putting on a bit of weight too. Is it normal to be so fatigued all the time? Would you recommend I have another mineral test? I don't like seeing my GP because he just suggests anti-depressants.. Thanks alot

Dear Fatigue Girl
The following conditions can cause chronic fatigue: a) Deficiencies, but particularly iron and/or vit B12 deficiencies that can in turn lead to anaemia which will make you feel very tired, b) Depression as your dr suspects. c) Underactive thyroid gland - this can also make you feel listless and tired and could account for the gain in weight. d) Conditions such as relapses of glandular fever or 'yuppie flu'. However, I would recommend that you have your blood iron and so-called ferritin levels and your thyroid function checked first before you consider depression as a cause. You are free to consult another dr for a second opinion and I would actually recommend that you see a physician. If you do see another dr mention all these factors to him/her esp the fact that you had glandular fever. Let's see what the tests show before we make any dietary changes.
I hope you can get to the bottom of this problem.

Posted by: Zexeon | 2008/06/13

Anti-depressants could help in a way but it could lead to a furter weight gain and that could make you even more depressed should you decide on using it. Did you have your iron tested because such a deficiency could also lead to fatigue. Do you sleep 8/9 hours consecutively? Maybe cutting back on the chocolates and nuts would prevent you from gaining more weight and following a healthy eating plan could only be benifical. Combined with sufficient sleep and moderate exercise it could counteract stres. If you really don't want to use medication you could consider therapy to determine whats causing you depression.

Reply to Zexeon