Question
Posted by: Naas | 2007/04/10

Fatigue when sleep late

Hi doc.When I sleep late at night, I find myself exhausted in the day.To the point where I cant stay awake at all and cant keep my eyes open.Im only 25 years old so this is not normal for someone my age Im sure.Could I be lacking in something to cause this fatigue?When I sleep early I seem to be fine.

Dear Naas
The number of hours of sleep that are necessary for an individual to feel rested differs a great deal from person to person. There is no hard and fast rule that say that anyone younger than 30 only needs 5 hours of sleep a night. It is an interesting fact that many older people tend to sleep less in old age than when they were young. How much sleep you require also depends on how physically active you are, how tense you are, etc. So each person has to work out for himself how many hours of sleep he needs to feel refreshed and rested. If you were chronically tired I would say see a dr for a medical checkup to exclude conditions like iron-deficiency anaemia or hypoglycaemia or fibromyalgia, etc, but you seem to feel rested as long as you go to bed early.