Question
Posted by: T-Rex-Lee | 2007/02/21

Fatigue during a Half-Marathon

My boyfriend ran past me at the 15 km mark into his Half-Marathon the colouring in his face was exttremely yellow. I am assuming something in his body was depleted in ihs body. What would cause this? What can we do next time to prevent this before he sets out on his 21 km race? Thank you very much!

I'm not sure of a deficiency that would cause this. I've given it some thought, and unless I'm missing something, it's unlikely to be a lack of anything. The only two occasions where I have heard of a yellow colour in the skin is when someone has jaundice (a liver disease, which seems unlikely given that he's running and otherwise apparently healthy), or it's too much Vitamin A/Beta Carotene in the diet. That happens when people overdo it on vitamin supplements, or in people who eat too much of the foods that contain beta-carotene, like carrots. Could that be the reason?

Other than this, I'm a bit at a loss, if my answer is not even close to being right, let me know and I'll dig a bit more.

Ross