Question
Posted by: HK | 2005/12/05

Fatigue at gym

I normally visit tthe gym about 3-4 times a week and I look forward to it. I do mainly cardio and circuits. I have been feeling very out of energy at going to gym as the thought of running on the treadmille for 15 minutes haunts me, even though I enjoy doing it. Should I perhaps get a proper exercise routine for me or not do the treadmille?

Hi HK

I think that both your suggestions have merit. It is very common to have this sort of fatigue and particularly as we near the end of what has presumably been a long year for you. Perhaps the body is starting to tell you that it's time to ease off and give it a break, who knows? Certainly the ideas you have are reasonable, because it's making little changes that will re ignite the spark. So you have 3 options. Your two ideas are good: You either get a new programme that introduces you to a few new exercises, rather than running. The variety and the new challenge can keep you going until the end of the year and maybe the spark will return next year. The second is to not run on the treadmill, but simply substitute it with something else that you will enjoy. The third option is that you can take your run outside. It's summer now, beautiful weather and evenings are a great time to enjoy this, so perhaps a 15 minute run will seem a lot more appealing if you are outside. I guess there is a 4th option, and that's to simply take 2 weeks off. It's not a bad one, you know. Especially if you are tired even at work, and need the holiday. Why not rest for the last couple of weeks, then take a week of holiday, and maybe by Christmas time, you can ease your way into it again. The body sometimes just needs nothing to recover, and maybe that's what you should do. It's up to you ultimately, but your lack of spark certainly indicates that you need either a rest or a period of change, so look at what you want and see how to get there.

1
Posted by: HK | 2005/12/08

Thanks man...I think I needed some sort of confirmation that it is OK to take some time off.

Reply to HK