Question
Posted by: Hopeless | 2007/03/19

Fat tummy

I'v had two ceizers. I'm on Weigh Less and had a Stepper this new steppers and a Add King Pro chair to do my stummy excercises. I'm doing my excercises 3 to 4 times a week. Do the stepper a half a hour in the early morning and 20 sit up on the add king pro. It is no 3months later and there is still some fat on my tummy. Like when I sit.

What can I do to get a flat tummy. I'm turning 45 this year. I'm realy hopeless. When I stand it is OK, when I'm sit it is terrible.

I'v lost 7,6kg in 6 months at weigh less.

Please help. Must I go on with the excersices or must I go back to normal sit ups on the ground.

Hi Hopeless

Trying to get rid of the last few centimeters or percent is a really tough ask, and the reality is that you may never actually be able to achieve a perfectly flat stomach when you sit. For that, we are talking years of disciplined training and diet combined. The other thing is your current weight. Having lost 7.6kg already, it may be that you don't have that much weight to lose - I don't know what you weigh, so that's a guess, but it is possible.

But I think that what you need to do is focus a little more on cardio training. I'm not sure what this king Pro chair is, but I'm not a huge believer in that type of thing to help with the weight around the stomach. The exercise is cardio training - like running, walking, cycling, swimming, taebo, aerobics etc. Anything that is cardiovascular gets the heart pumping and energy burning is most effective. It is just a question of how you use these cardio sessions. I would suggest at least 4 days a week of cardio training, each session lasting about 30 to 45 minutes, AT LEAST. You have to build up this duration and then keep at it consistently in order to see change.

The specific exercises for the area in question have a relatively minor role, other than that they are responsible for developing the muscle in the area, which creates the appearance of being toned. That's obviously what you want, but you have to realise that you can't do the toning and specific work first and neglect the cardio - it has to work the other way around, cardio first, toning second. So focus on cardio, then on toning.

Diet is also very crucial, and if it's not 100% it will undermine any exercise benefits. So the best thing is to see a dietician or follow a very good diet plan. Just remember that low kilojoule is not necessarily better - too low causes problems as well, because it causes the body's metabolic rate to drop and that affects your ability to lose weight in the future. So don't try to starve yourself or go overboard, rather eat sensibly, cut out as much fat as you can, and listen to your body.

Ross