Question
Posted by: Poppy | 2007/02/23

Fat sausage

I've got a mini daschund, she is almost two year old, and more a child than a dog. But she has put on a lot of wieght in the past three weeks. We live on a five acre plot and i have 4 big dogs, that she runs around with and plays with all day long, so i don't think it's exercise. But my dad works from home, and i think the problem is that he feeds her whatever he eats during the day and then we feed her with the other dogs at night. (which she hardly ever eats) So i'm sure she is over-fed. But i want to know if just cutting out my dad's feeding will make her loose weight.
I don't want her to carry around extra weight, i know it's not good for theirs backs.
I'm i doing enough, by speaking to my dad, or is there something else i should try?
Oh and she can be very moody, is that normal?
She is thrilled to see me some-days, but ignores me all the other days. She used to be so affectionate and now she doesn't come near us. I undersatnd it's REALLY hot, but sometimes she won't even lie in the same room as me.

Any ideas?

Has she been speyed? Obviously if you dad is feeding her she will be more responsive to him. Some dogs have this effect on people. They say "when she looks at me with those sad eyes, what can I do but give her someting to knibble on??". Your Dad will have to stop feeding her and you will need to get her on a weight reduction diet and then back to her normal routine.

1
Posted by: Natasha | 2007/02/23

Hi Poppy
I know how you feel. I have 2 daxies of my own, and 1 which belongs to my mom-in-law, which has just had a back operation. She is living with me now, as I am having to teach her to walk again after the back operation. It is not an easy task. She is also very overweight, which is making her recovery much longer. The vet said that after the operation, most daxies would start walking in about 2 weeks. This doggie has take 3 weeks so far and can still not lift her bum off the floor without help. This is a result of being spoilt and overweight.
I know it is VERY hard to resist, but it is VERY important not to give daxies "human food". For some reason it goes "straight to their hips"!!!
My two daxies are now also on a diet with the other daxie, and I am not giving them any extra tit-bits !! The only thing they are getting apart from their pellets is one dog biscuit each if they sit quietly while I have supper, and do not beg !!
It is very hard, I know, but I am seeing now what a difference it makes. Even in my two, as they have more energy now that they are loosing some weight.

I would suggest taking your daxie to the vet just to make sure there is no "health" reason for her weight gain, and then being strict with their food.
I had the same problem with my mom being a house-wife and feeding mine rusks etc whenever she had some. It took some serious training on both my mom and my dogs to stop that.
And seeing what my mom-in-laws doggie is going thru after the operation was enough to make my whole family understand how important it is not to feed them extra.
PS. All the daxies I have ever owned were very moody. Having a daxie is a different experience !!

Reply to Natasha