Question
Posted by: Dee | 2007/07/12

fat restricted diet

Hi Diet doc
Just an update again. I met my GP or arrange for the duromine and said he wouldnt feel comfortable giving it to me and suggested l look at Xenical instead. I had to go for blood tests and will be seeing him on Tuesday to, hopefully, get the prescription. In the meantime I have still been following a restricted fat diet and it seems to be working although i find myself getting more and more cravings. I am trying to stick to roughly the whole weigh less way so 5 carbs, 3 proteins, 2 fruit, 2 veg, 2 milks etc. I have so far, since last Tuesday lost 2kgs. When I get a craving I target more "sensible" cheats like last night I had such a headache and I thought it must be because of food so I had about 6 marie biscuits which I completely enjoyed. I would usually have raided other sweeter and richer biscuits or made buttered toast but I thought that would be the best cheat. You mentioned earlier that I shouldnt consume more than 65gr fat (which sounds quite high) so I am working around 40 grs a day. ie. around 5gr breakfast, 15gr lunch, 5grs snack and then the balance for dinner.
Why do you think I have a constant headache? This should have passed already during the first few days.
chat again.

Dear Dee
Nice to hear from you again. Glad the dr is considering prescribing Xenical, as I have heard very positive reports about this product at conferences. I am, however, worried about the headaches you suffer from. This could be an indication that your blood sugar is too low and it may be a good idea to increase your carbohydrate intake by 1-2 portions. Stick to high-fibre, low-GI carbs with a low-fat content (Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI), such as ProVita. Also try having a fat-free yoghurt when you get those cravings - the protein in the yoghurt will keep your blood sugar steady. If you find that you are just not able to get rid of these headaches then firstly discuss them with your dr and secondly do think of consulting a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will be able to assess your present food intake and help you with a low-GI diet which is also very low in fat so that you can use the Xenical properly.
Hang in there