Question
Posted by: Ekke | 2007/05/16

Fat percentage

Yesterday I took my Fat persentage, and it was 22%, I want to know the following:

How can I get it less?
Does my age have a impact on it?

Hi Ekke

I'll answer the second question first - age definitely influences body fat, mostly because as we get older, we lose muscle mass and that means fat mass goes up. So an older person with a body fat of 30% might be better (health wise) than a person aged 20 with a fat percentge of 25%.

On the first question, my first response is to ask how the body fat was measured. The measurement of body fat is notoriously dodgy, espeially in this country where so few qualified people exist to do the measurements. So I have an immediate reaction that says don't worry, there is more than a good chance your body fat is not that high anyway. Of course it may be, and it does not help you much to know this. So what I can suggest that you look at exercise as the answer, and try to emphasize some weight training and get more toned. This means resistance work, go to the gym and use slightly heavier weights that you have perhaps used in the past, if at all.

Cardio is critical though, it's really very important that you do regular cardio training, like walking, running, swimming, cycling and rowing. If you did this four or five times a week, for 45 minutes a day, you'd see changes.

But the bottom line is that you should not worry too much about this - if you feel OK, and you are healthy and happy with your physical appearance, then don't worry that much about a possibly misleading measurement.

1
Posted by: Bren | 2007/06/08

Well I am 29 year old mother of 1 and my body fat persentage is 12.9. By a quaified biokineticist.Yip I'm quite proud of that! (The fat % not the biokineticist!!) It seems rather strange then that your BMI calculator works my BMI to be 130! I should not be able to move if a BMI over 30 is obese! Think something is really wrong there!

Ekke
I would really suggest a bit of weight training with the cardio. We women are often intimidated to go to the gym to "do weights ". You really shouldn't be though. It gave me some wonderful results. By doing weights doesn't mean you are going to be a body builder, it just helps your body to get going. Swimming I found to be a great cardio workout and it works everything! - only thing in winter is it is a schlep to get to the gym for a swim when it is so cold outside. But if you are determined, I'm sure you'll end up enjoying it!

Reply to Bren