Question
Posted by: lady | 2003/12/12

fat percentage

hi Doc

I have a normal weight 73kg and 1.74m tall but a fat percentage of 35% and I am 23 years old. Why could this be? I eat a healthy diet with almost no fat (been on weigh less for five months, lost only 3kg. I had my fat percentage checked yesterday (35,5%), and it actually went up from last time I had it checked (28,4%) Please help me, I try so hard, but the fat sticks. I am on depo provera injection, but can this really cause a problem like this?

Dear Lady
Your present BMI = 24,1, which is in the high normal range (25 is the upper cut-off for normal weight). According to Prof. Tim Noakes the normal and average fat percentage for women is 25%, thus you do seem to have a rather high body fat content. This could very well be due to the hormone treatment as all female hormone treatments can lead to weight gain and/or hamper weight loss. I think that you should discuss the type of contraception you are using with the prescribing dr, to see if there is an alternative that does not affect you in this way. I would also suggest that you start doing regular exercise (join Walk for Life or a good gym) because exercise is the best way of stimulating your metabolism. Keep up the good work with Weighless - 3 kg is a lot of weight that you are no longer carrying around with you - well done.