Question
Posted by: Kay | 2007/05/04

Fat on the Liver

Dear Doc
If someone has fat on their liver, how is their health affected and what does fat on the liver mean?
Kind Regards
Kay

Dear Kay
Fat on the liver can be damaging when the stored fat causes pressure on normal cells and influence the effectivity of the liver. See http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/nonalcoholic-fatty-liver-disease/DS00577

1
Posted by: Keen | 2007/05/04

Hi Kay

Fat on the liver means that your liver is storing fat instead of burning it. There are many conditions (diabetes, high cholesterol, obesity,alcohol etc) that can cause this. In most cases it is caused by an unhealthy lifestyle. I should know, cause I have a fatty liver. My specialist advised gradual weight loss by a low GI diet and excersice. Also cutting out alchohol and unnecessary medications. If you have not had a ultrasound of the liver, I would advise you get one. It is not a life threatening condition, but if you catch it early on, you can do much to reverse it. You can also do a search on google for "non alchoholic fatty liver disease"

Reply to Keen